Thursday 10 January 2013

Attachment Parenting

I have been practicing Attachment Parenting (AP) since the birth of my first child, Shan, and now with my second one, Shuen. For those who are not familiar, Attachment Parenting is a style of parenting method highly recommended by Dr. William Sears in his practice as a paediatrician. The purpose of this parenting style is to promote natural bonding between the the child and mother/caregiver since birth. For those who are interested, you may get to know more from here. You may also join this Facebook group.

Dr. Sears had listed out 7 AP Tools (Baby B's) in his book and they are :

1. Birth Bonding
2. Breastfeeding
3. Babywearing
4. Bedding close to baby
5. Belief in the language value of your baby's cry
6. Beware of baby trainers
7. Balance

I am very glad that I have following the practices very closely from 1. to 6. Why am I so keen in this parenting style?

In fact I have been partially practicing AP without my awareness of this defined parenting style since the birth of Shan. And I found that Shan and I have a very good bonding and she have become a very likeable child by everyone around her since very young. When I gave birth to Shuen and accidentally came across the Attachment Parenting book by Dr. Sears, I was very attracted to his ideas in his book. Thus I have further dedicated myself to fully implement his teachings in order to fully reap the desired results.

However, maybe due to over zealousness,  I have not been able to master no. 7. well.  Hope that with further practice I would be able to overcome this challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment